- Prize amount of ~ $5 million dollars (equivalent)
- 16 years from establishment of prize until Harrison draw up his initial proposal
- 5 years to build first prototype marine clock
- 5 years to build and test second prototype
- 17 years to work on unsuccessful third prototype
- 6 years to build prototype marine watch
- Never received full award (which was never awarded to any person)
- Had to petition the King to receive even the partial award.
It is hard to how a successful software project could be modeled after the above history!